THE FEDERAL PUBLIC DEFENDER for the Western District of Texas is accepting applications for the position of Administrative Assistant, to be stationed in San Antonio, Texas. The Federal Public Defender operates under authority of the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3006A, to provide defense services in federal criminal cases and related matters by appointment from the court to individuals unable to afford counsel.
To qualify for the position of administrative assistant, a person must be a college graduate with five years of work experience, two of which should be specialized experience. Law office experience and a business or criminal justice degree are preferred. Must be able to analyze and apply relevant policies and procedures to office operations; exercise good judgment; analyze and recommend practical solutions; be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat. Must be able to work independently, take initiative, and work in harmony with other team members while performing different roles. Must have the ability to communicate effectively with attorneys, staff, clients, court personnel, and the public.
This position is classified as “high-sensitive,” and employment will be considered provisional pending the successful completion of an initial 10-year background investigation with updates performed every five years thereafter.
- Assist Administrative Officer in a variety of administrative and management matters regarding policy, personnel, operations, finance, and property and procurement.
- Open cases in case management system and process initial case assignments. Scan and docket initial opening events.
- Review, identify, and research the accuracy, timeliness, and quality of data entered into the case record.
- Prepare and analyze required reports to ensure that all case files and related information are accessible.
- Run miscellaneous daily reports and examine cases on a regular basis for discharge and closing, ensuring that all procedures are complete.
- Finalize monthly timekeeper reports.
- Prepare regular statistical reports and weekly caseload reports for attorneys.
- Respond to administrative inquiries from staff and other organizations.
- Arrange travel and prepare travel vouchers for payment reimbursement, ensuring accuracy and compliance with government travel regulations; prepare invoices for payment.
- Assist with orientation for all new employees, time and attendance records, and administrative files.
- Advise Administrative Officer of anticipated needs and/or replacement of supplies and equipment.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Some travel is required. The full position qualifications statement and position description is available for inspection in this office.
Candidates may apply by sending a letter of interest (mentioning announcement number 22-02) and résumé to: Maureen Scott Franco, Federal Public Defender, Western District of Texas, 727 E. César E. Chávez Blvd., Suite B-207, San Antonio, Texas 78206, or you may submit your application documents in a single PDF document by email to TXW_Employment@fd.org. The document should be named as follows: "Announcement 22-02, position title, last name, first name" (e.g., 22-02 Administrative Assistant-Smith, John). Electronic submissions sent directly to the Defender will not be considered. For applicants with disabilities, this organization provides reasonable accommodations, which are decided on a case-by-case basis. To request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, contact personnel administrator Victoria B. Longoria at (210) 981-2081. More than one position may be filled from this announcement. Position announced December 14, 2021, subject to the availability of funds; open until filled.
The Office of the Federal Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer.